Tuesday, May 19, 2009

They'll Remember You. Will You Remember Them?

Four in ten adults remember their school bus driver's name, according to a survey from First Student cited in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The survey continued:
When asked to share their most memorable experiences on a school bus, most survey respondents recalled having fun and riding the bus with friends. Many surveyed still remember riding the bus on their first day of school. Other fond memories included singing favorite songs, a bumpy ride in the back of the bus, budding romances, field trips and receiving special holiday and end-of-year treats from bus drivers.
The journalist remembers her own driver and the not-so-kind nickname she had for her. ("How could we be so cruel?" she now wonders). At this writing, 23 had left memories of their drivers on the newspaper's comment section. Most of them are incredibly kind.

How well do you remember your bus driver? How do you want your riders to remember you? We only hope it's not as "Cakeface."

1 comment:

  1. It's been 20 or so years since I've been a student school bus rider but I have no problem recalling my driver's name...Mrs. Record.

    There isn't anything characteristically that stood out about her. Even now I can clearly picture her without any problems.

    My most memorable moment was the day we arrived to our house and it was surrounded by chaos. It had nearly burned to the ground and was still smoking when we arrived. Our driver only released my sister and I when my mom came to the door. We were both in elementary school at the time and it was devistating. Our bus driver just happened to also be one of those people that volunteers and helps people in chrisis. I do not recall the name of the orgaznization but I do recall how much she helped our family.

    Needless to say, I will never forget Mrs. Record.

    As for my students I only hope they remember me as a friendly and fair driver that kept them safe getting to and from school and the one person who always told them "good morning", "have a good day".

    ReplyDelete

We want this to be an open forum for the hundreds of thousands of people that help get students to school safely every day. We want to hear what you think, what's going on at your facility and what solutions you've found. But, please, keep it civil. Just like on the bus, we'll have no tolerance for attacks or anything defamatory. We won't write you up, but we'll delete the comments right away. So don't bother. But if you have something to share, this is your place.

Thanks,
STN Editors