Monday, April 20, 2009

Honoring the Drivers and Philosophy

As we spring on towards summer and the end of another school year, consider how you honor your school bus drivers.

In North Carolina, Cleveland County Schools named Rita Maddox its driver of the month and scored a nice story in the local press. Said Maddox "I like driving a bus because I know that a nice smile and a hug every morning may be the only hugs some children get ... I work at the best school in Cleveland County with the greatest staff- not to mention the students."

Meanwhile, the retirement of a 40-year veteran behind the wheel, gets a story in a regional Arkansas paper. Wanda Pingry offered the paper (and other drivers) this wisdom:
"Kids aren't perfect and I don't expect them to be ... But I do expect them not to be mean and hateful and to keep their voice down."

What do you do for your drivers? How do you recognize long time drivers and school employees?

On another philosophical note, Bus No. 6 offers its own pearl from behind the wheel:
"... just the other day I realized that after a person has driven a bus for more than five years, that person starts to look and act just like their bus ... The gentleman who drives Bus No. 54 talks a big game but that's what it always is -- just talk. His bus has a great heater, but all the heat stays up front ... I drive Bus No. 6. It rattles a lot, makes a lot of noise, but it's nothing really worth listening to. Need I say more?"
Any truth to it? Are you like your bus?

3 comments:

  1. This may be my one shot at speaking out so here goes. I am retired from the US Navy and was urged to get my CDL just over fifteen years ago. Got them on a Tuesday and at 6:15 the next morning with snow,sleet,freezing rain and fog I got the call,"Get up here, I need a driver". So my career started and I have enjoyed most of it. Beautifull sunrises and sunsets,deer, raccoons, birds and kids. All have served to make my 250,000 miles a vast source of joy and learning. I'll never forget my kids, the preschooler who rode for a year never saying a word, until her last day when she looked up the steps and said, "I love you Mr. Al". Or the fine young man who is serving our country at my urging. He told me he knew exactly who he is and what he was doing. There are lots of others but I think you get my point. So I'll close wishing you all safe days and pleasant stories. Keep the wheels rolling, the schedule on time and kids safe. I am retiring in May to spend more time with my wife and grandchildren. God Bless America. Al Murray, Robertson County Bd of Ed, Mt. Olivet, Ky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Al: Congratulations on the years and miles served. Thank you form all of us at STN for all the safe rides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I like my bus? Well I used to be, smooth an sleek. I was always alowed to "break in" our new buses. Now, after 28 years in the pupil transportation business I drive them all as needed. Yes I am still like my bus(s). Always on the go, reliable, and these days versitile.

    ReplyDelete

We want this to be an open forum for the hundreds of thousands of people that help get students to school safely every day. We want to hear what you think, what's going on at your facility and what solutions you've found. But, please, keep it civil. Just like on the bus, we'll have no tolerance for attacks or anything defamatory. We won't write you up, but we'll delete the comments right away. So don't bother. But if you have something to share, this is your place.

Thanks,
STN Editors